Outdoor entertainment has seen a massive decline throughout recent years mainly because of the introduction of various indoor entertainment ideas. However, it is a great loss that we have stopped enjoying the beautiful nature and instead, have restricted ourselves to the four walls of the house.
If you are looking for an adventure-filled getaway, you should consider going out for camping. Camping is an excellent way of enjoying the beauty of nature and getting a taste of the wildlife with your friends or family.
However, before you set out for your camping adventure, it is beneficial to start your preparation beforehand. If you do not have a camping kit already, it is time to arrange one. The cost of arranging a camping kit can be extremely high if you are considering buying all the elements of your kit from the store.
However, the great thing about camping is that you do not need to add fancy items from the store to enjoy the outdoors; here, in this article, we share with you some ways you can prepare a do-it-yourself camping kit.
A Guide to Preparing a DIY Camping Kit
Camping can get a bit pricey. But, that shouldn’t stop you from enjoying the outdoors just as much as the next guy. And, there are certainly all kinds of things that can be done to save money and still allow everyone to have a good time.
Looking for ways to save on your camping trips, but don’t want to give anything up? There are many options and things that you can do to save you money and get you out there camping.
The first element of your kit that you can work on with cheaper materials is the camping tent. Instead of buying an expensive tent for your adventure, consider buying Tyvek house wrap. Find a place that deals with the selling of Tyvek house wrap and buys the required measurements keeping in mind the kind of camping you are considering. By using Tyvek, you can enjoy the condensation resistant light material that you will find to be surprisingly durable.
Your sleeping bag is one of the most important elements of your camping kit. The type of sleeping bag you have during your trip will determine what kind of sleep you enjoy. However, there is also a way you can arrange a sleeping bag of your choice at home by using a few items lying around the house commonly. Make use of synthetic and down to give your sleeping bag plenty of insulation. Make sure you have a sewing kit handy when working on making your sleeping bag. By adding and stitching two blankets together, you can also increase the warmth and the performance of your day sleeping bag.
Worried about how you will cook food? No problem! You can use the help of a large can, a few nails, pliers, and hammers, as well as, matches and twigs to come up with a high performing hobo stove. You will find this to be extremely cost-effective and surprisingly durable. What’s better, is the fact that you can also use this stove to keep you warm during the night.
You might need to be a bit of a scientist for this, but it is an extremely important item to have if you can pull it off. To ensure that the water you are drinking is pure and clean, you can use the help of ultraviolet LEDs, resistors, a wire and a switch. You can also use some soldering iron, batteries and a plastic or glass container to make a purifier that will prevent you from having contaminated water by getting rid of any chemical residues in the water.
Waterproofing your Gear
Using trash compactor bags during your adventure can help you waterproof a lot of items in your gear. Compactor bags are recommended to be used if you face storage problems as well. However, it is necessary to remember that the compactor bags will perform comparatively better than the regular trash bags you find in your house. These compactor bags are better at waterproofing your items and are much more durable.
Freeze Drinking Water
Freeze drinking water in 2-liter bottles. Everyone has some 2-liter bottle laying around, inside of buying ice, put drinking water in them and freeze them. They will keep your things cool in your cooler and as they melt you have drinking water for drinking.
This is a great hack that is a win-win for everyone. If you do not have a 2-liter laying around, a clean milk jug or other large plastic containers will do just fine as well. This hack will also work to keep your food from drowning in ice.
Backpacks available in the market have ridiculously high prices, which is why we are happy to inform you that you can easily make an effective and durable backpack at home by using a few items. Simply, use a polypropylene bag with straps made out of nylon, also use a hardwood frame to give you backpack a sturdy nature.
If you are looking to make an emergency light, find a transparent bottle and use a headlamp to quickly transform your bottle into a glowing lantern. You can also make an ultra-bright LED light by using the help of an ultrabright Led, LED Indicator, an old battery, a resistor and a rectifier diode. Using all of these items will help you make a lamp that is rechargeable.
That grate in your garage can also be used to make a small-sized grill that you can use to cook your food properly and evenly. Take that grate along and balance it by putting it over two rocks at every side. Light a fire underneath your DIY grill and enjoy cooking.
Bring along reusables
Bring along real dishes and silverware that you can wash and reuse. All the throwaway things are expensive and just create more of a footprint anyway. If you have reusable, bring it along, and this goes for cups too.
If there is drinking water in the area, there is no reason to lug along a case of bottled water. Use your reusable water bottle and fill up at the fountain. If you don’t have reusable that you want to take along with you, a second-hand store would be a great spot to get some. They would have pots and pans as well so that you don’t have to use a lot of expensive tinfoil to cook. Plates that are not made of easily breakable materials are probably best. Even look in the toddler area and use two!
Advantages and Disadvantages of A DIY Camping Kit
The good thing about having your camping kit is the significant reduction in the cost. Camping gear bought from outside will make you lose a lot of money. Also, another benefit of DIY camping kit is how much you educate yourself during the whole process. Doing all these tasks yourself brings many skills. Lastly, even if you have the required camping gear, having these DIY items handy can help you and can serve as a contingency plan when most needed.
The most obvious disadvantage of having a DIY camping kit is the difference in quality. However, you will be surprised to know how durable all these materials can be if used properly. Also, another reason behind people buying the gear instead of making themselves is because the DIY process takes a lot of time and needs to be started quite early.
Some Useful Camping Hacks
- If you feel itchy, use a deodorant.
- Placing your eggs in a water bottle can solve a lot of your storage problems.
- Take microfiber towels along as they dry much more quickly.
- Sage acts as an excellent mosquito repellant.
- To make a floor use foam.
- You can also use glow in the dark paint to turn your bottles or glass jars into lamps.
- Before going on the trip, find out what kinds of plants are expected to be there. Get information about every kind of plant and find out which ones of them are a danger and can be poisonous.
- Have sandpaper handy to light your matches.
- If you are confused about storing your spices for your cooking needs, make use of the tiny tic tac boxes you find everywhere. These can prove to be great for storing such small items.
- When making a DIY sleeping bag, try to keep the measurements enough for two persons, this will reduce the amount of gear you have with you.
- Hammocks are great to have when camping. Whether you want to take a nap or sit and enjoy the beautiful view, hammocks will significantly help you during your trip.
- Instead of taking toothpaste, try to use baking soda. Baking soda gives outstanding results when it comes to cleaning almost anything!
- Do not forget the toiletries.
- Try using tea or coffee sachets. These will be of great help and will be much more convenient and easier to use than the regular methods.
- Instead of carrying a bar of soap, try taking thin peels of soap that can be used more effectively and by a larger number of people.
- If you want to make a soap dispenser, try using an empty bottle of detergent or any other liquid.
- Try wrapping a belt around a tree and see how useful it can be for hanging utensils or any other items.
- If you plan to go on a hike, make sure you have a trail marking tape available. This will prevent everyone from going missing.
- Use a bucket as well as a crate to make a toilet seat to be used in an emergency.
- Keep frozen water in bottles and jugs that you can use for cooking or drinking.
- Doritos prove to be extremely helpful if you want to start a fire. Just take a couple of Doritos and light them on fire.
Going on a camping trip is all about having a great time with your family or friends. Even though these DIY tips might sound to be difficult and time-consuming, working on these DIY techniques will give you a unique and knowledgeable experience. Furthermore, we would recommend that you take on a couple of partners when working on these DIY items.
This will give you a memorable experience and will provide you with the quality time you require. Depending on what kind of ground you choose and the duration of your trip, plan the quantity of each item in your camping kit. If you plan to go on a camping trip that lasts longer, you might need to start preparing for your DIY items months before the planned date of your trip. We hope you enjoy working on these tips and make use of the hacks mentioned above.
I have been camping and going outdoors for over 15 years! My first experience was when I joined the scouts. There I learned a lot. From building a campfire to set up a really big tent. Then I know this is awesome. Around 2005 I also started Geocaching. This is a lot of fun. And every time we go camping we look at the map to see if there are some nice caches around.